Sunday, October 5, 2014

Carolina Chain

During an August Quiltcam Bonnie Hunter was making blocks for a Carolina Chain Quilt. I loved the block and, although she said she was using 2" wide pieces, I wanted to use a couple of 2 1/2" strip sets that I had . This is Bonnie Hunters Quilt block, I just used wider strips and I did not go "scrappy" like she did. Just wanted to show you what my blocks look like!

 I used the Cotton Shades and LeCreme "Rolie Polies" (like jelly rolls) by Riley Blake. The Cotton Shades are like a marbledy fabric and the LeCreme are polka dots. (I love polka dots!)



Because this is Bonnie's design I'm not going to give instructions but I'm adding a couple of photos showing my pieced blocks.



This design is actually a simplified 9 patch, and as a reference, my block center is made up of 2 1/2" squares. 

Here are 4 blocks pieced together
This block was a free block in Quiltmaker Magazine sometime ago. (Search on the Quiltmaker Magazine site for this block.) There are also images of quilts made from this block in internet world so a bit of googling will yield some great ideas.

Also you will want to keep an eye out of an upcoming publication by Bonnie Hunter, I think it might feature this block in a different and fun layout.

Always, 
Janny




No comments:

Post a Comment